Is organised crime running a cannabis farm in your neighbourhood?
That’s the thought-provoking question being asked by Crimestoppers as part of its ‘Weedthesigns’ campaign.
Crimestoppers is driving home the message that cannabis isn’t the harmless drug people often think it is. The organised crime gangs that grow it can bring crime, violence and intimidation into a neighbourhood.
The campaign at www.crimestoppers-uk.org/weedthesigns points out the telltale signs of cannabis being grown at a secret location. These include;
- Strong, sickly smell given off by cannabis plants.
- Cannabis growing equipment being taken into a house. For example, lighting and ventilation equipment.
- Constantly covered or blocked-off windows.
- Unsociable coming and going at all hours.
- Strong and constant lighting day and night.
- High levels of heat and condensation with misted-up windows.
- Constant buzz of ventilation.
- Lots of power cables. Gangs dig underground to lay cables that hook up to things like lamp posts so they don’t have to pay for the enormous amounts of electricity they use.
Visit the Crimestoppers website for more information or call them anonymously on 0800 555 111 with any information. If you prefer to call Hampshire police anonymously, dial 101.