With the forecast of a very hot summer police are reminding drivers to make sure they leave their cars secure, after an increase last month in thefts from motor vehicles.
As tempting as it is to leave windows open or sunroofs down, please don’t, instead take a little time to protect your property and valuables with these common sense measures.
- Remember to shut all windows and sunroofs and lock all doors. Activate the alarm and immobiliser. Make use of any security products you might have such as steering locks.
- Whilst enjoying the sights make sure you keep your bag and possessions with you.
- Try to park in sign-posted parking areas. If you have a garage, use it.
- Be cautious about parking your car in isolation. If possible, park in a busy area. Thieves can be put off when other people are around.
- Don’t leave anything in your vehicle, including the boot. A jacket or coat left behind may be of very little value to you, but a thief may think it has been used to hide a laptop or handbag and will break into your vehicle to find out.
- Take items with you rather than locking them in the boot, you can’t be sure who has seen you.
- Make sure you do not leave documents which have your personal details on in your vehicle.
- Do not leave your sat-nav in your vehicle and don’t forget to remove the cradle and wipe the sucker marks from your windscreen.
- If you have a removable music system, take it with you.
As many of us head out in our cars to experience the delights of the area’s beauty spots or simply pop to the shops this weekend, please remember opportunistic thieves will be keeping an eye out for vehicles that are left open and unattended.
If you see anyone acting suspiciously around parked vehicles, particularly if they are trying car door handles on parked vehicles call the police on 101, giving as a full as description as possible.
Don’t hide it – Remove it!
Anyone with information can contact Police by phoning 101. Information can be given anonymously by phoning the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.