The Big Lunch 2012

Get streets ahead with your summer party plans

Summer 2012 is set to go down in history as one to remember.

The great British public can look forward to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, the London Olympics and the Paralympic Games – and we’re all invited to celebrate.

The Big Jubilee Lunch on Sunday 3 June is one of the main events planned for communities around Britain. Why not get together with friends and neighbours to join in the fun – whether it’s a sedate garden party or a full-blown street meet, it’s hoped that as many people as possible will raise a glass to toast Her Majesty’s glorious 60 year reign.

With a special four-day bank holiday, from 2 to 5 June, there will be plenty of time to party – but don’t forget you have to apply for permission for street closures with New Forest District Council.

New Forest residents organising a street party to celebrate any of the summer’s big events are reminded to apply to the council as soon as possible. The closing date for small scale street parties for the Jubilee is 4 May and for the Olympics launch weekend (27 July), it will be 29 June, but early applications will help to avoid disappointment.

Leader of New Forest District Council, Councillor Barry Rickman, said: “I’m sure many individuals and communities in the New Forest will want to celebrate these momentous occasions and to help we’ve made the application process for small scale street parties as straightforward as possible.”

A small street party is defined as one for less than 500 residents, with no entry charge and to be held on a residential road with no through traffic, shops or car parks in the vicinity.

There’s no application fee, you won’t have to consult the Highway Authority, police or public transport operators and New Forest District Council will not require public liability insurance is taken to cover your event, although it recommends that you do so.

You will also have to inform the NFDC licensing officer of your street party and an event notification form needs to be completed for this.

For more information about what you need to do to apply for a road closure, please call 023 8028 5260 or email

Alternatively, find out more and download an application form online at

All you need to do then is hang out the bunting and start baking the cupcakes!